Tuesday, June 22, 2010

What can I do to become a professional makeup artist?

Over the past 3 years I've been contemplating becoming a makeup artist. I have an extensive collection of makeup (all MAC). I've done makeup on friends and obviously on myself. The only MAC counter we have here is in Nordstrom and you have to do this one hour application that doesn't ask anything about my skills as an artist, just dumb ';if you saw someone stealing would you;'; questions. Anyone here a current or former MAC artist? How do I get into working at that counter? Is school really necessary? Any help would be awesome.What can I do to become a professional makeup artist?
School isn't neccesary. Experience and training is.


Mac is a great counter to start with because you will get both. They are not going to ask you about your skills on the application, although you should present yourself as well as possible when you go in to apply and interview.


What they'll be looking for is for you to be outgoing and personable, stylish, appear professional etc. They don't care about what you think you can and can't do as an artist, because they will train you to do things their way. Which in the end is fine, because you will develop as an artist through experience...and working at a MAC counter you will get it.What can I do to become a professional makeup artist?
I'm a pro makeup artist and have worked on celebrities, in TV, for advertising campaigns, fashion shows and also personal work such as weddings and lessons. I am developing this practical written guide to starting up in the makeup business, because it's got all the stuff I wish I had in my hands when I got out of makeup school. The greatest missing piece in this industry in terms of information will be in this guide. It has all the information you can't find in text books or in makeup artist's books..artists' books like Kevyn Aucoin's, though superb in showing makeup techniques, they do not focus on the kind of content from the business end. My package will include information such as starting up in your first year--how to budget, what supplies you need; also, you get business forms including bridal contracts, legal release forms you have models sign to use their photos, safety forms for insurance protection, a check list on finding and working with photographers, instruction sheets for models to get ready for photoshoots, rate sheets for commercial work, invoice and quote forms, face charts, a list of great artists, makeup and photography websites, a list of the best books and resources to use for your business, sample letters to photographers, cosmetic retailers, all sorts of promo pieces, as well as a complete list of all the products to put in your kit--including brand names and colours! And it will have much much more. If you are already good at makeup, then this package is all you'll need to know the business start up steps to take. If you still plan to take a makeup course, you'll be surprised how little of this ';ready-made'; business information you'll get! You'll still need to graduate and figure out how to put all these forms together for yourself and often at high cost..and frustration. And then you need to figure out what to do first--the entire step by step ';how to make it'; plan. If you aren't a computer expert, if you aren't a graphic designer...if you aren't a writer, if you aren't a lawyer, you'll love this package... Having ready made paperwork and advice will get you going in no time. The section on makeup schools alone is 9 pages long. I review why you don't have to go to school but if you do, how to go about it, what questions to ask schools and more. See the link at www.facemaker.ca/page10.html





In terms of the package timing, it's a few months away from being ready. I apologize. I'm really busy with bookings and don't want to rush it's contents. I want it to be the best product possible. I've got thousands of names on a waiting list and want to make this book worth their wait.





In the meantime..if you would like to tell me some key topics that you are really really trying to sort out and want to be sure I cover in the book, do forward your ideas. In terms of your comments about MAC, I will be talking about getting retail jobs and specifically how MAC works; giving you samples of effective letters of application (I was a writer for 13 years before makeup); and go through the ups and downs of retail--salaries, expectations and more. The book will be 13 Chapters and more than 400 pages.





Hope this information helps you. I decided to write the book because of the thousands of emails I get a month asking exactly the type of question you've asked above. Cheers, Colette


www.facemaker.ca
What a coincidence Koren from Enkore makeup on Youtube just came out with a new video on how to become a makeup artist.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRVwianfi鈥?/a>





Here are some websites


http://www.fabjob.com/makeupartist.asp


http://www.ehow.com/how_2030371_become-m鈥?/a>
You don't say how old you are, but it would help to choose a college program that deals with esthetics and makeup. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but it would definitely help!
  • If Denied STafford Loan
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    email hosting